If you are a politician….
We must stop subsidizing fossil fuels and start investing in renewable energy from wind, solar and heat power. The latest report from UN scientists gives us 12 years to avoid catastrophic results.
If you are a politician, then you have great power, and great responsibility - everyone who lives on this planet is looking to you to lead.
Make renewable energy your #1 priority. Here are some ways to do that:
- Invest in green technology. Make more money available for existing or commercial technology. One easy way to do this is to stop funding research into nuclear fusion. Billions and billions of dollars have been spent - yet we are no closer to making nuclear fusion a reality than we were 40 years ago. Even if it takes 20 more years, it will be too late.
- Reduce taxes on green energy and/or install cap and trade. Increasing the taxes on or the cost of coal or fossil-fuel based energy will make fossil energy more expensive, while direct payments to producers of renewable energy will make renewables even cheaper.
- Start phasing out coal.
- Lead the transition to electric cars.
- Invest in energy storage and energy efficiency. Since massive amounts of energy are wasted in buildings and houses, incentivizing energy efficiency through insulation, and doors, windows and roofs with low emissivity will lead to greener cities.
- Abide by and surpass the stipulations of the Paris Agreement which not only limit CO2, but also require that we increase our efforts to absorb it.
- Reduce the amount of energy use per capita. People will use less the more their electricity costs, and consumers who are educated about their energy mix can reduce their consumption.
Need help convincing your colleagues in government? Recent calculations by FENES and Fraunhofer suggest that transitioning to clean energy is a profitable investment. And that’s without considering all of these other costs. Another report found that “a global shift toward sustainability would yield a staggering $26 trillion in economic benefits by 2030.”